[Stoves] Secondary air slots and deflectors

Jock Gill jg45 at icloud.com
Mon Feb 25 14:16:47 CST 2013

Friends,

I get this flame pattern when I use a slot for secondary air with three deflectors just above the slot.  This tends to keep the flame in the combustion zone between the top of the fuel load and the bottom of the deflectors.  The total area of the three deflectors should be around 50% of the surface area of the fuel.  I find this gives very clean combustion as long as I use the least amount of primary air required to sustain pyrolysis.  As the primary air increases, the gap must increase.  The more primary air the more rapid the pyrolysis and the hotter the stack gas. But it is very hard to obtain a really clean burn if the pyrolysis is really fast. Or so I find.

Test set up looks like this: