[Stoves] combustion of char

Josh Kearns yeah.yeah.right.on at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 14:46:11 CST 2013

I would guess that to get O2 uptake, you'd have to use a large amount of
char in order to be able to measure the resulting small weight percent
increase. That could be inconvenient, or downright dangerous if spontaneous
combustion is indeed a risk (large amount of char + atm of pure O2 ???).

Josh

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Frank Shields <frank at compostlab.com> wrote:

> Stovers,****
>
> ** **
>
> I think wetting, keeping dry or covering new chars may just be putting of
> the potential problem. ****
>
> ** **
>
> A test might be:****
>
> 1) Weigh a container****
>
> 2) add biochar and weigh****
>
> 3) purge with nitrogen (200c)****
>
> 4) weigh tare and dry char****
>
> 5) purge with air (oxygen) (25c)****
>
> 6) weigh tare and biochar****
>
> 7) purge with butane (25c)****
>
> 8) weigh tare and biochar****
>
> ** **
>
> Step 4 you get the moisture****
>
> Step 6 you get oxygen up-take and potential for spontaneous combustion****
>
> Step 8 you get butane activity****
>
> ** **
>
> If this method looks good, when we get some time we will try it.****
>
> We need to get relative O2 up-take values compared to potential for
> Spontaneous Combustion to be able to report a SC potential Index.   ****
>
> Butane activity value just easily added at this time. ****
>
> ** **
>
> Regards****
>
> ** **
>
> Frank****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> Frank Shields****
>
> Control Laboratories, Inc.****
>
> 42 Hangar Way****
>
> Watsonville, CA  95076****
>
> (831) 724-5422 tel****
>
> (831) 724-3188 fax****
>
> www.controllabs.com****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **

Josh Kearns
PhD Candidate, Environmental Engineering
University of Colorado-Boulder
Visiting Researcher, North Carolina State University

Director of Science
Aqueous Solutions
www.aqsolutions.org

Mobile: 720 989 3959