[Stoves] iCan w/ Deflectors @ 20 minutes

Jock Gill jg45 at icloud.com
Tue Feb 26 14:19:15 CST 2013

Crispin,

I find that we agree on two key points that others do not seem to.

1. Keeping the fire in the combustion chamber;

2. That only a SMALL amount of primary air is needed in a well tuned TLUD.  I generally see way too many and too large primary air holes used. I tell students to start with too small primary air holes such that the pyrolysis fails.  I then have them enlarge the holes in 1/64th drill bit increments.  Occasionally I suggest adding a very few more holes. Pretty quickly they find the smallest amount of primary air that works for the given biomass.  It is easy to make holes larger, but a real challenge to make them smaller ;-)

My goal is complete conversion of all biomass to charcoal, no unconverted bits in the final results. I also aim for a the best yield that also passes the usual simple quality tests, such as Hugh's no soap test, no floaters in the quenching water, little ash - clear water after quenching, not milky, etc.

It is very good to find another who shares my views on location of combustion as well as the amount of primary required.

But pardon my ignorance.  In the last paragraph you mention EA, which I take to be excess secondary air?  When you talk about range, range of what?  I will get one of my heating professionals to measure my stack gases when I get a chance latter this Spring.

Many thanks.

Jock

Jock Gill
Marketing & Communications