[Stoves] Gas Bottle TLUDs

Elisha Moore-Delate emdelate at chemonics.com
Tue Feb 26 16:42:04 CST 2013

Hi David,

Thanks for the photos and excellent timing. My project works on both LPG and improved biomass cookstoves. Part of our project objectives is to help the government develop and pass the law that all old LPG tanks are removed off of the market and to start implementing a consignment type system, which doesn't yet exist here...hence the extremely high number of old tanks in households.

I previously read about people using old gas tanks for improved cookstoves and wanted to see how I could take this idea and resolve two of our existing problems in Haiti: 1) too many old tanks in household's hands, which leak and have led to several explosions and 2) to find an alternative good quality metal source for improved biomass cookstoves.

I say excellent timing because tomorrow I am meeting with our donor to explain the concept which is a bit more complicated. I want to tie this in with the consignment model, where the gas companies would offer a percentage rebate to collect the old tanks and give the households a new tank on consignment. The gas companies would then be responsible for ensuring that the tanks are empty and safe and then possibly cut them. The ICS producers would then purchase the old tanks to produce improved cookstoves with at a rate much more affordable then imported metal, which is quite costly in Haiti and the Gas Companies would be more willing to convert to the consignment model as they would recoup a good bit of their costs. One of the gas companies is interested in working with us...but I haven't until your email had some visuals that I can use to show people.

So thanks again for the info and visuals and any advice is welcome,

Elisha

Improved Cooking Technology Program-Haiti