[Stoves] Thermometers for WBT

Inversiones Falcon invfalcones53 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 6 18:46:53 CST 2013

thank you for the advice.

Gus

________________________________
From: Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at gmail.com>
To: 'Discussion of biomass cooking stoves' <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 6, 2013 3:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Stoves] Thermometers for WBT

Dear Tom

Please get something with a decent thermal mass. The tiny wires spot-welded together at the end are not very helpful at getting the temperature because they fluctuate so rapidly when the bubbles start rising. It should have an enclosing metal jacket of 3-8mm diameter. They still react quickly but not ‘instantly’.

I have also found that mounting it in the centre of a pot also heated in the centre (from below) gives misleading numbers. Prof Lloyd says there is actually no such thing as the boiling point of a whole pot of water. My conclusion is that the best we can get is the time at which the average temperature reaches its maximum. Using only one thermocouple in a round pot, it should be placed somewhere like 1/3 of the diameter towards the centre.