[Stoves] Simple change to the WBT Re: Thermometers for WBT

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Jan 7 13:57:24 CST 2013

Dear all,

I appreciate and understand Crispin's comments.   First a question, and
then a reply.

Question:  Does this make any difference?  I think it does.  I have
conducted enough WBT with the waiting for the final degree (local
boiling point) to be reached to know that there there can be even
minutes of waiting.   And it is especially long if the fire is
low/small/weak.

Reply:  Why not define the "End-of-test boiling point" to be either 1 or
2 degrees C less than the local boiling point?  So when the test pot
water temperature reaches that number and remains steady (or increases)
for 10 seconds, the test is over.     This would mean imprecision of
only a few joules instead of variations that could be 100 or more times
greater.   Latent heat of 2257 Joules per gram is a significant amount
when compared with the energy to raise one degree when well below the
boiling point.

As Crispin points out from Prof. Lloyd's work, even the position of the
temperature probe makes a difference.

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"i
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com