[Stoves] Fwd: new briquette press from Hungary

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Sun Jan 13 08:02:19 CST 2013

Hello Nora (and Esvin and Dra. Leticia and  Ing Juan Louis, de family Eco Lena here in Guatemala,  Kevin Adair of Fuego del Sol in Haiti, Dr. Joyce Lockhard  and Bob Peterson of the Beaverton Rotary club, Oregon USA) , Rok Oblak Stove and press designer in Slovenia and Sanu Kaji Shrestha of the Foundation for Sustainable Technologies, in Nepal.

The idea of high production manually operated presses is catching on. Here is a new prototype from Hungary. It was developed through Nora Feldmar a Dutch citizen whom we worked with to introduce briquettes about two years ago. She is working with the gypsy community in rural Hungary.

It looks Nora, like your colleagues are apparently working with a push-up rather than press-down design, with an eject mechanism similar to Fuego del Sol's. It seems like a good idea as it may make loading and ejecting much easier eh ?

What do you all say. We are in need of higher volume presses here in Guatemala and will hopefully dive into development ourselves pretty soon.

Nora, If you want to make up a simple technical manual for it and SELL IT ONLINE for the group, I can help you with layout and content for your manual if you want--

This a change in design we might also want to adapt here too, with full  credits to your group (and of course the others behind that per above)!  Who are the designers and fabricators in your photos Nora ?

You have to love this internet eh ! A simple idea of using a bottle jack starts in Haiti in 2003 with a group of Haitian engineers. Its  independently replicated in the form of a screw press with the novel idea of a slide gate idea for ejecting the briquette by Sanu Kaji, in Nepal, then the bottle jack idea is compacted by an industrialist in Oregon US,  then the concept is expanded to a high volume (25 gang) press using an industrial strength 25 ton jack  by Fuego del sol with a bit of input from us, then its picked up and refined by this group in Hungary and I have probably left out half a dozen similar efforts in the process.

The idea is open source, the product and packaged specific technical information can be bundled and sold to cover your own operating expenses and make some profit too, (why not !)

What we come up with in Guatemala will probably not be exactly like either Fuego del Sol or the Hungary team's design, as it need o be tailored to Guatemalan conditions and resources and filtered through Guatemalan technical experiences and insights.  Let the buyer decide what works best for them as they peruse our individual technical manuals and products online.

All I've got to say is, its nice to wake up in the morning to see that message"you've got cash" in your inbox. May you all be doing same, this year !. We are no where even the growth of demand for this product in our individual arenas. Nowhere near it.

Happy new year, and Nora, thanks to you and your team for sharing the information. All the best.

Richard Stanley
www.legacyfound.org
Antigua

Begin forwarded message: