[Stoves] Need help in designing a small refrigerator for rural huts.

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Fri Jan 18 00:16:38 CST 2013

I, too, am very interested in absorption refrigeration.
Since my gasifier is a batch process, my aim for the moment would be to
make ice in a batch process.
If continuous refrigeration is required, ice could be placed in a well
insulated ice chest or ice box.
The ideal would be an ice-maker that would operate on little or no
electricity.

Can a solid absorbent such as silica gel be used in conjunction with water
as a refrigerant?
Both silica gel and water are quite safe to handle.
Could beads of silica gel be placed in a sort of vertical packed tower to
absorb water?
When the beads would be saturated with water,
 hot air from a gasifier could be run through the same packed tower to dry
the beads.
Likewise could quicklime be used as an absorbent?
Could heat be recovered from the process by means of heat pipes to produce
hot water at the same time as ice?

I would be happy to draw up models and make fabrication drawings in
Autodesk Inventor.
I could also build prototypes quite inexpensively here in Vietnam.

Thanks.
Paul Olivier

Paul A. Olivier PhD
26/2 Phu Dong Thien Vuong