[Stoves] Need help in designing a small refrigerator for rural hutscontinued.

Alex English english at kingston.net
Fri Jan 18 05:57:26 CST 2013

We have used a propane fridge at the summer place for 40 years. No
moving parts, but its a beast, heavy and complex in its own way.

A friend of mine has trained his convective fridge to run only during
the night when electrical power is cheaper. He has a pan of water/ice in
the freezer (no food in the  freezer). A recycled heat exchanger with
aluminum fins about .3 cm a part is half submerged and half in the air.
During the 14hrs of off time the ice half melts the air is cooled and
drops into the food compartment. The main compartment of the fridge has
maintained a steady temperature as if it were plugged in all day. He is
an engineer and actually calculated the required volumes and surface
areas required.  It is a simple and improved ice box. He has a 'plan'
for a chest freezer retrofit but admits it is not quite so simple and as
yet untested.

Like Crispin, I'm chillin in Ontario,

Alex