[Stoves] Jatropha fruit as fuel?

Jonathan Otto ottojonathan at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 19 07:43:50 CST 2013

Crispin,

Thanks for your interest in the jiko safi Jatropha seed micro gasification stove. We have developed templates and fixtures for use by metal workers in countries where we promote the stove, as is clear in the stove construction video, but we have not put together dimensional design drawings of the stove.

The general layout and approximate dimensions should be obvious from the two video clips at the website jetcitystoveworks.com. One deviation from classic ND-TLUD design is a central air cylinder, which we found necessary in order to completely combust the long hydrocarbon chains of the gases in Jatropha seeds. For a view of this piece under construction is seen about 6:40 into the stove construction video.  We also use an integral enclosed stove top and chimney for reasons you will understand.

Obviously, one-off construction of stoves is the slowest and most expensive way to do this. I'm surprised how precise the metal workers can be with these limited resources -- all 40 stoves made to date function very well.  Our next investment will be to equip this artisan's with some shop tools. Still, one advantage of this tedious method of construction is to demonstrate for any viewer the various parts of the stove and its fabrication.

Jonathan