[Stoves] is this new?

Marc Pare mpare at gatech.edu
Sat Jan 19 23:46:44 CST 2013

Ron –

Can you guesstimate the degree of improvement more quantitatively? Crispin
places (correctly) a lot of attention on EA (Excess Air). Can your meter
measure this simultaneously with the CO readout? Or do you need a hood,
etc? What are typical O2 readings where you are measuring CO? Was the flame
fully complete where you measured? (little additional secondary air coming
in?)

I used a combustion analyzer that reads simultaneously CO and O2. Excess
air is calculated from O2 and fuel composition (which I had on hand from
the Seigert analysis I posted a while back)
I stuck the probe horizontal just above the outlet of my inner cylinder.

I would be very happy to hear that I did it completely wrong!

Anyway, these tests weren't intended to demonstrate improvement, just to
explore the concept. I found it totally unintuitive and surprising that the
draft from a short section could counteract the flow of producer gas being
forced by a fan.

I called it a "heat pump" to emphasize that the inner cylinder was actively
pulling secondary air rather than the producer gas "bumping into" ambient
air at the outlet of the burner. I suppose I was also thinking of a way to
distinguish that it wasn't a momentum effect (like a jet pump entraining
secondary air) but a buoyancy effect from the difference in density between
the cool ambient air and hot flue gas.
But "heat pump" is not a good choice because it's already used in HVAC.

Always looking for better terminology, what do others think?

Marc Paré
B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology | Université de Technologie de Compiègne

my cv, etc. | http://notwandering.com