[Stoves] Jatropha fruit as fuel?

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 10:38:29 CST 2013

Dear Richard

I am backing your position that if you have pelleted fuel don't go pelletizing it. I also support the oil extraction idea because generally speaking oil has a higher value than the raw material (plus all those uses or markets).

Having made sunflower presses for years the cake can be shaped in that process to facilitate burning it without an extra process - i.e. produce the cake directly in pellet/briquette format from the oil press.

It looks obvious that pressing the oil in a batch process could produce oil and kick out a briquette, esp a holey one, in the same machine. If necessary it could have a shape that tuned the surface to volume ratio to get a particular burn rate. Once you have a known burn rate the air flows are straightforward. Preheating, ditto.

I have been surprised by the several references that jatropha cake can be made 'easily' into briquettes and find that very encouraging. Is it all that sticky? Sunflower cake + oil dregs will stick together but it takes a long time for the oil to harder (into a black resin-like material).

Regards
Crispin following with interest