[Stoves] Jatropha fruit as fuel?

Bjarne Laustsen bjarne at kiwlau.com
Tue Jan 22 22:44:01 CST 2013

Dear Crispin
Thank you for your information on the Anglo Supra Nova stove, and also
your advise regarding our stove.
The pictures there are on our website do not give a good impression of
the stove when it burns, at least not for stovers.
Our marketing section wanted to get pictures with big flame so it looks
impressive. However that is not the way it should burn.
On the pictures the Jiko Bomba stove burns with high amount of primary
air. That is not the way we recommend households to use the stove as it
is not economical and it will not burn clean.
When the stove is started the inlet for primary air in the bottom of the
stove should be opened fully. As the fire catch on the primary air inlet
is gradually closed, after around five minutes it will there will be
only very little primary air. At that point the gasses from the pellet
will burn by secondary air in the internal chimney in the top part of
the stove. The flame will be blueish and not reach above the stove. I
agree with you that flames should never touch the pot.
Burning like that there will be no smoke and there will be no sod on the
pot.
When the stove is burning in gasification mode there will be no flames
in the firebox that holds the pellets. So the pellet will be burning
only heated up so gases can be released
After the gasification is finished normally 1 hour, then the top part of
the stove can be taken off. the stove can then continue as a charcoal
stove as the pellet will be laying as glowing charcoal pellets.
This gives another 30 - 40 minutes of heat.
So our stove works a little different from a usual gasification stove
and also from the Anglo Supra Nova stove. I will think about how we can
incorporate your suggestion into our stove. But I will definitely look
into how we can make some better charcoal stove here for Tanzania based
on the Anglo Supra Nova stove, as this for me look as a much better
charoal stove design, than the present ones here in Tanzania
I will in a few days time send you some better pictures of the stove and
how it works, but I at present have the problem that my usual PC have
crashed so I do not at present have access to these pictures.

Yours
Bjarne Laustsen