[Stoves] Example of missed opportunities was Re: is this new?

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Jan 23 21:35:52 CST 2013

Crispin and list

1. Re non-sustainable biomass, the Geres folk also seemed to be bothered by the rules. I will re-read. My hope is that biochar somehow can find a different path (whch adds to the available credits). I do not claim to understand this yet .

2. Re the use of 18 vs 15 - I agree. I have just gotten used to working with nice easy divisible numbers so folks could easily follow the math. I apologize; I should have put in a warning to that effect. Any idea how the energy value of char should be similarly devalued by humidity? I just want to work with the simple example of 1 kg of char - as that is what we have cost data for. I can't redo without some energy value for char at the same place where wood's energy value is 15 MJ/kg. Might it be about 30 * 15/18=25? I am hoping that the main point of cook-earnings using char-making stoves won't change much. I personally think time savings will be a bigger issue - and the GERES material has some nice numbers on this topic. I have been amazed at how uniform power levels can be once one has set a desired power level; that converts to saved time.(and therefore another income aspect of a cost comparison.
I still need to respond to your recent list of TLUD deficiencies; I haven't forgotten. We just need to also talk about balancing factors such as these two above. There are others.

3. I give a talk at ETHOS on the handling of char in stove efficiency computations - that will take issue with some of your thoughts below. Let's revisit this after you have heard my view on this topic.

Ron