[Stoves] Venting Re: Example of missed opportunities was Re: is this new?

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 23:24:55 CST 2013

Dear Paul,
I had similar experience with our ARTI biogas plant as you had with
the TLUD stove. At least 6 companies approached me for getting the
manufacturing rights of our biogas plant, but they lost interest on
hearing that this technology was not patented. Two large companies in
India have copied our design and they are selling it as their biogas
plant, but owing to the high overheads, their biogas plants cost about
twice as much as the one assembled at home by a handyman.  Our
Institute must have sold about 10,000 copies of our video CD, which
shows, step by step, how to fabricate this biogas plant using two
plastic water tanks. I assume that at least half of the people who
purchased our CD have fabricated their own biogas plant. We keep
receiving E-mails and telephone calls telling us about the successful
commissioning and operation of their home made biogas plants. Our
Institute also conducts courses teaching people how to construct a
biogas plant. Many of our trainees are basically plumbers by trade.
They don't worry about the ownership of intellectual property rights,
because they just buy the hardware from a hardware shop and assemble
the components to make a system, be it a wash basin, a bath shower a
w.c., a solar water heater or a biogas plant.
Yours
A.D.Karve