[Stoves] WBT (never ending)

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Thu Jan 31 13:40:20 CST 2013

Dear Crispin,

From: Stoves [mailto:stoves-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org] On Behalf Of Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:59 AM
To: 'Discussion of biomass cooking stoves'
Subject: Re: [Stoves] WBT (never ending)

Dear Frank

Crispin > Whatever is happening, the numbers are required in real time.

Frank> Why? Don’t all we need is energy going in – energy left to = energy used during the time of the test? Nice to have real time measurements to see how the stove performs but not needed for the WBT.

Crispin>  I think you need to see the SETAR test method in operation. It is not nearly as difficult as you imagine and I am beginning to have more confidence that we can get the fuel analysis as it burns from the combustion products.

Frank> So many combustion products in all forms of energy bonds that need to be looked at and assembled along with accurate flow measurement, possible leaks, calibration for gas flow and equipment etc.

Crispin> The chemistry is not all that complicated if you don’t go after the past 0.5%. Test methods are surprisingly inaccurate. For example given a choice between measuring what is on a scale and measure gases using a pitot tube, I will take the scale every time. Given that we are trying to get a reproducible measurement within 6.66% on each run we can’t start with a method that is ±20% before even lighting the stove.

Frank> The method to estimate energy left over that have been used are very inaccurate -agree. But we can use much better equipment (CHN analyzer) that will give us the values far more accurate than needed.

Crispin> The carbon balance method is used by the EPA for vehicle emissions for precisely the same reason we should: because it is convenient, simple and reasonably accurate. It is harder for wood stoves than liquid fuels, but there are a lot of stoves burning liquid fuels. So why not use methods that are really accurate for everything, forgiving the wood burners a bit because the fuel is variable?

Frank> If burning liquid fuel why not just weight the fuel to Start – fuel left over? Unlike burning biomass there is no change in the chemistry of the fuel left in the pot. But wood fuels are much harder (as you know) because of burn variation and change in chemistry from start to end as char is produced.

Crispin> Here is an example: if you have a fuel you know is 50% carbon, and 10% is missing (based on what you expected, based on a change in mass) what does that tell you? Quite a bit. It means char is being produced somewhere inside or on the fuel and what is burning is hydrogen. That’s not hard.

Frank> Much easier if you know the CHN of the starting material and the CHN of the final material and weight of both. Very exact measurements. Moisture at the start is easy. Only problem is moisture at the end and I think that can be dealt with. Then we have only the estimated calculations for bond energy to determine the energy used.

Crispin> The big variable is water vapour and when the moisture left the fuel.

Frank> ‘When’ the moisture left the fuel? We need this for the WBT? Or just total water vapor during the run?

Crispin> This needs to be measured directly in real time and the emissions summed to see what is hydrogen burning and what is fuel moisture evaporating. That is not nearly as difficult a calculation as FTIR requires.

Frank> Seems this is all good info for researching the stove performance but overkill and introduces much more potential error for the WBT test. IMO

I get the feeling people think this should be a quick test and cheap. Always nice if possible. But this is an important test –very important if a stove producer wants to compare his/her stove to others for sale. And that warrants the most accurate and reproducible test we can do. Each test may take a week+ to dry, grind and prepare samples for CHN analyzer etc. That’s typical for this type of complexity. It should all boil down to fuel quality as being the biggest variable during testing or round-robin test programs –not test procedure or test equipment.

Thanks for your well appreciated comments.

Frank

Frank Shields

Control Laboratories, Inc.

42 Hangar Way

Watsonville, CA  95076

(831) 724-5422 tel

(831) 724-3188 fax

 <http://www.biocharlab> www.biocharlab.com

When you get lots of carbon per MJ and no H2O, you are burning char. You can know this from the computer screen without even looking into the stove.

If you watch the computer screen you can often tell if a fire is going to go out. J

Dear Crispin,

If we want to determine the Trees Savings that, as you mention, is different than determining energy going in and being used. That because different wood densities and components burn differently. To determine the forest savings we need to use that fuel for the different stoves tested. But for now we have our hands full just following the energy (the C and the H along with water) going in and out.

Putting the stove on a balance to measure weight loss seems a very poor way because the weight left is likely much more concentrated in energy than the weight starting with the char formed and water loss.

I don’t like the idea of sitting there and trying to determine the char from the wood from the ash as from my experience there is torrefied wood that looks like char.

And I don’t like basing fuel used on carbon in gas stream with dilution, mixing, other hydroCarbons, exact flow determination -all prone for very large errors.

For the high quality of testing we must insist on achieving we need advanced equipment; like a Leco CH analyzer and stay with testing fuel going in and out IMO. We are saying ‘my stove is better than yours’.  If you think the water left over in the fuel is important and cannot be reduced by specifying a moisture in the starting fuel to be less than 15% and not adding fuel closer to 5 minutes before concluding then we need another step. Perhaps weigh the bucket of water / add the flaming mass to the water and re-weigh / increase water temperature determined /  suspended solids weight and CH determined / dried fuel weight determined along with CH. The sum of the dried mass from suspended solids and dried settled material is subtracted from the total flaming mass presented to the water to determine moisture (real iffy). But I don’t think this important and more chance for error. At this point we are in charge of this test and can specific anything we want regarding fuel (oven dry?). But soon we will want to use real fuel with water and pine resins, bark, all mixed with corn cobs – This is when we can calculate in tree savings and must factor in water for Out fuel.

The CHN analyzer is not a big expense for labs that are going to get into this business, useful for many other tests they likely do and needed for this testing. I don’t see any other way around it.

Thanks

Frank

<and then pot of water part of the test>

Frank Shields

Control Laboratories, Inc.

42 Hangar Way

Watsonville, CA  95076