[Stoves] Mark Bittman on climate change

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Tue Jul 2 05:17:03 CDT 2013

*Mining oil, gas and coal is making some people rich while braising the
planet for all of us.*..

*... and the oft-stated notion that “since gas burns cleaner than coal and
oil, we should be moving toward gas” puts us on the highway to hell.* *Make
no mistake: when it comes to climate change gas isn’t “clean,” because
undetermined amounts of methane — a powerful greenhouse gas — leak into the
atmosphere from natural gas production.*

*With knowledge comes responsibility, and with that responsibility must
come action. As the earth’s stewards, our individual changes are important,
but this is a bigger deal than replacing light bulbs or riding a bike.*

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/01/lets-not-braise-the-planet/?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130702

I really like Bittman's statement that moving toward natural gas is no
solution. Instead, as he says, it puts us on the "highway to hell."
Sometimes we have to hear words like that in order to understand the
gravity of the situation.

Let us do our part. Let us engage in responsible action. Whenever and
wherever possible (especially in the developed world), let us replace
fossil fuel gas with syngas, and let us bury biochar.

Thanks.
Paul Olivier

--
Paul A. Olivier PhD