[Stoves] Designing for the affluent AND the poor.... this is NOT Re: ocean acidification

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Fri Jul 5 23:54:56 CDT 2013

Thank you Richard and Andrew,

I agree with your comments below EXCEPT that you did not change the
Subject line.   And therefore List readers who are fed up with the
oceanic acidity discussion are unlikely to have read your comments.  By
the way, I did NOT read those messages.   But I do read whatever Andrew
and Richard contribute to the Listserv.

Now, about designs for the affluent AND the poor.   This relates to
"trickle down technology" that believes that by helping the rich, the
poor will benefit.....  EVENTUALLY benefit.   Sure.   a few years or
decades or lifetimes later.

I am glad that affluent societies financially supported cell/mobile
phone development.  A great example of trickle down technology coming
rather quickly.   But it reached the poor societies because business
found that it could make money off of the needs of poor people to also
communicate.   And microchips etc are really inexpensive.   We are
unlikely to see similar benefits relating to cookstoves.

Even as it is today, MUCH of stove work/efforts are targeted to the more
affluent of the poor, those who are in the upper parts of the BASE of
the pyramid (BOP).   That makes more sense than trying to get biomass
fuel stoves into typical American and European households.   But that
approach (well established and supported by the GACC and the World Bank
ACESS programs) still leaves a massive lack of attention to the needs of
the true base of the BOP.   But at least the distance to trickle down
from the upper BOP to the lower BOP is less (and should be faster) than
trickle down from the Top of the Pyramid to be base of the BOP.

If you decide to reply to this Thread of messages, please stick to this
topic.   (Or change the Subject line to reflect what you are actually
talking about.   After all, the Subject line has at least two
purposes:   One is to continue the Thread, and the other is to inform
the reader what is the actual subject being discussed.)

Paul      with 4 more days in Uganda, then I bring home over 300 pounds
of stove progress (available baggage allowance for 3 people) to show at
Stove Camps and biochar meetings in late July, early Sept and mid
October in Oregon, Tennessee, and Massachusetts, respectively.   I hope
to see many of you as I cross the USA by car from my home base in Illinois.

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com