[Stoves] Comparing the fate of fuel energy between stoves -- a simple table?

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Fri Jul 19 22:26:38 CDT 2013

List and Julien

This mainly to respond to Julien below re char-making stoves for especially Bangaldesh, but of course to endorse Dr. Paul Olivier's remarks immediately below..

1. Assuming Bangladesh is big in rice, I would check out more of Paul O's work and justification for using rice husks with a char co-product. Of course Paul is also eloquent on the value of placing char in the ground for climate (CO2 sequestration) reasons. That should resonate more in Bangladesh than most any other country

2. Your timing is a little off for getting help from the stove camp starting in three days at Aprovecho. But Dean Still and Dr. Paul Anderson have both got publcations answering the energy questions you have asked below (look at the Phillips stove for one). They would both recommend publications by EPA's Jim Jetter.

3. All three would probably say that the available stove testing data says that char-making stoves will be getting about 30-40% of the energy in both the cookpot and the char, and the remainder (20-40%) is lost. This latter number is low in the stove testing world. I think all three would agree with Paul O. on the value in not combusting the char. He also emphasizes the importance of health impacts, soil improvement, carbon dioxide removal (CDR), and the good economics of saving the char, and spending less time fire-tending, etc I do also.

4 However, it sounds like you don't need much help along those lines. Best of luck. Please let us know how your talks go.

Ron