[Stoves] Cajun Rocket Pot

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Sun Jul 28 05:15:11 CDT 2013

See comment below.

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM, <ajheggie at gmail.com> wrote:

> [Default] On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 20:48:02 -0400,"Lanny Henson"
> <lannych at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> >I like creative people and take no pleasure criticizing their work but it
> is going to be too expensive and difficult to make with all the pegs.
>
> Lanny have you seen capacitive discharge stud welding? This would
> allow welding of dissimilar metals to the pot in any pattern. I have
> no idea of costs.
>
> Have you done heat transfer tests with your 4mm aluminium pot compared
> with the thinner stainless one? Stainless is a notoriously poor
> conductor of heat and theoretically would need to be just under a
> tenth of the thickness of aluminium for the same conductivity, but I
> do use stainless pots at home.
>
> Finally can you explain the difference between a vat and a pot?
>
> Paul I do consider this to be important because biomass stoves have an
> inherent problem with heat transfer compared with natural gas or LPG
> so improvements in heat exchange will have high benefits.

With my little gasifier, I always try to keep flames well underneath the
pot. But if really high heat is needed, and if the pot is a bit small,
flames will come up the sides of the pot. I imagine that the pegs of the
Cajun Rocket Pot will transfer more heat to the pot, and they will slow
down the flow of hot gases. In Louisiana such big pots are quite common for
boiling seafood, especially crayfish, and for making gumbo. Big pots are
also needed in Vietnam where it is quite common to boil bones for many
hours to make a stock for noodle soup. If the Cajun Rocket Pot achieves a
50% increase in the transfer of heat (as claimed in the video), this would
be hugely significant, especially in a commercial setting where noodle
shops can consume a bottle of gas in three days.

Thanks.
Paul Olivier

> AJH

Paul A. Olivier PhD