[Stoves] The TLC burner is new and improved technology inbiomass burner design.

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 17:30:22 CDT 2013

Dear Lanny

Using a TLUD ignition and following that with a hopper fed burn is one good
way to limit total emissions including the ignition period.

This has relevance to testing of stoves where the ignition period is
included in some test ratings and not in others. As the householder is
exposed to everything from a fire, to me it seems sensible to include
everything as part of the burn cycle.

With an always-on device like a hot water boiler in a heating system there
are arguably good reasons not to include the ignition period but (rather
obviously) that is not part of normal operation.

For an actual reduction in the exposure of cooks to smoke, the ignition
period is a good target. Using a top-lit fire, like a good Boy Scout always
does, is an easy way to reduce the overall total PM mass emitted.

Incidentally there were 13 stoves tested for the Ulaanbaatar Clean Air
Project (UB-CAP). There were 4 stoves selected for the second round of more
intensive testing. All the selected stoves were ND-TLUD's. None are fan
stoves. All achieved >90% reduction in emissions based on the old baseline.
The reason I say 'old baseline' is that there has been a government mandated
change in the fuel available in the city (from one coal source to another)
and the new source is significantly different in composition. This resulted
in a large increase in the baseline emissions, meaning the baseline stove
produce much more smoke than it used to with the old fuel. In spite of this
fuel change, the new stoves were held to the old emission baseline and were
still able to dramatically reduce total PM and CO.

Now that 100,000 stoves have been changed there are about 60,000 left. Some
45,000 will be change by the end of the year - at least that is the target.

Depending on the quality of combustion, a coal fire can significantly affect
the taste of food. With the newest stoves this is pretty good, though there
is much to be learned about how to ignite a stove for minimum smoke. My
feeling is that we can do better. Some stoves are still achieving 99.5%
reductions even with the new fuel so 'much better' is not unrealistic.