[Stoves] Between PM 2.5 and PM 10

Jay Smith j.smith at harborhomes.org
Fri Jun 7 07:29:44 CDT 2013

I'm traveling and don't have access to all my files as a result so I can't give you details from when I was actively working on this a few years ago.  There is only 1 study that I could find then that modeled the passive particulates in a house from a certain number of cigarettes being smoked and a typical amount of air exchange.  The levels were actually around the lower part of the range in the group in Guatemala that had the rocket stoves installed.  For cigarette smoke,  we know that this amount of smoking in a household is associated with increased childhood pneumonia.  In the long-run, personal exposure is what counts and this is hard to measure for particulates which is why Kirk Smith's group used personal CO monitors on children instead.  I think it would be useful for someone to mount a large study that paid women to carry a particulate sampling system inside a life-size baby doll to get accurate ranges for what a typical infant is exposed to.  Ideally this would be done in multiple locations where etiologic research on pneumonia in children is being done.  Unfortunately the clinicians doing those large studies did not opt to look at smoke exposure levels; that probably goes along with the mindset that has been encountered in the past from the Gates Foundation that seems to dismiss attempts to lower exposure to combustion products as not as worthy of attention as their efforts to diagnose and treat these pneumonias more quickly and adequately in order to lower the death rate.

Jay Smith, MD, MPH