[Stoves] Insulation and stove life

Paal Wendelbo paaw at online.no
Sun Jun 9 10:58:20 CDT 2013

Stovers
Crispin is right, the best insulation is air, and arranged the right way it
will give some preheating to the intake off secondary air at the same time
as it will prevent destroying the metal. By natural draft you will have a
yellow charcoal with a temperature of about 900˚C and by forced air you will
have white charcoal of a temperature of about 1000 ˚C, the temperature
blacksmiths need for forcing and welding steel.
But what is convenient temperature for cooking? It is definitely not 1000
˚C. On top of charcoal it can sometimes be too hot, on open fire from wood
sometimes too low. I have found that my horizontal TLUD ND PP stove works
best with a temperature about 700 ˚C for cooking, about 450 ˚C for simmering
and around 200 ˚C for baking bread. And to obtain that, I need no insulation
anywhere in the stove.
Regards Paal W