[Stoves] Calorific value of wood

Bruno M. brunom1 at telenet.be
Sun Jun 9 18:09:52 CDT 2013

Elaeocarpus serratus is a tree specie not much used as (construction-)wood,
while you may find it hard to Google the wanted values,
maybe you could look for calorific values of its more common name like
'Ceylon Olive'.

But in general all wood ( when dry ) has all about
the same heating value when burned, if,  IF you compare them per kilo (
aka calorific value per mass).

While 1 m3 of balsa wood will generate less calories then 1 m3 of oak,
both will have about the
same calorific value if you compare 1 kilo of the first against 1 kilo
of the second.
e.g. in http://www.ces.iisc.ernet.in/energy/HC270799/RWEDP/acrobat/fd45.pdf
page 40 contains a little comparison list titled:  "energy content of
one ton of fuelwood is equal to:"
for wood in general it gives:  14,235 MegaJoule */ ton
    * = Average figure. Fresh cut wet wood 10,900 MJ/ton; air dry in
humid zone 15,500 MJ/ton;
         oven- dry 20,000 MJ/ton. See also Harper et al (1982)

You wood species is very light weight :
http://www.fao.org/docrep/w4095e/w4095e0c.htm
tells you the density of  Elaeocarpus serratus   is 0,40 g/ml = ( kg/L
or ton/m3)
So Elaeocarpus serratus will have a low heating value by volume compared
to most other wood species.

Hope it helped a bit.
Bruno M.