[Stoves] Between PM 2.5 and PM 10

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 09:49:12 CDT 2013

Dear Crispin;

Thanks for your excellent response to the issue of untrafine particles
and the article by Just, Rogak and Kandlikar (2013).  That TLUDs have
a strong secondary gas fire is a very important distinction from many
other stove designs.   The ability of a stove to handle a variety of
fuel qualities is also an issue, because, as we all know, the rate of
heat production and the temperature of the flaming pyrolysis affects
the nature and temperature of gases entering the secondary gas fire.
We may find that in area of high human population density, pellet
fuels are way-and-above the best option for low-emissions of
particulate matter.  Hopefully, there can be a market for biochar to
offset the cost of pellets.  That were soil scientists (me) come in.

Speaking of pollution being relative, my parents lived in London,
England during 1930-1950.  A lot of coal was burned for heating and
cooking.  The particle emissions produced nuclei for water vapor to
condense resulting in the infamous London fog.  It was at times so
dense that bus conductors had to get off the bus and walk in front to
show drivers the way.  The people of London simply assumed that it was
normal that your window curtains and the white marble of buildings
turned back.  When Londoners switched to using more gas and
electricity, the famous fog went away.

Julien.

--
Julien Winter