[Stoves] Meat grinder fuels for TLUDs was Re: wheat husk pellets

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Wed Jun 12 03:41:13 CDT 2013

See comments below.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM, <ajheggie at gmail.com> wrote:

> [Default] On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 12:53:02 +0700,Paul Olivier
> <paul.olivier at esrla.com> wrote:
>
> >How does lignin soften to become a binding agent using a meat grinder?
> >This would be truly wonderful, if it were true.
>
> It won't with a meat grinder, you will need some sort of binder, like
> boiled starch or clay.

How durable is a pellet made from boiled starch or clay?
Do these pellets not have a tendency to expland and crumble?
If pellets disintegrate, and if the flow of air through a TLUD is not
uniform, a lot of CO2 fill be formed.
What is the percentage of starch or clay added?
What is the cost of these additives?
How do these additives affect the moisture content and other properties of
the pellets?

> Lignin plastisises under high pressure and heat, the heat is normally
> derived from the friction of the material passing through the die. At
> these pressures the cell walls collapse and then the lignin re sets to
> form a pellet that is denser than the wood it was made from. All these
> systems use a lot of power and the expensive dies wear.

But is this extra cost not worth it in terms of a higher efficiency in its
final use?
If not, then why do companies often make pellets without the use of starch,
clay or other additives?
If ligin plasticizes, does this not make the pellet more hydrophobic?

> The Shimada press is the one that produces a hexagonal log with a hole
> down the middle, often blackened on the outside from the heat from the
> press walls.

How does one get a uniform flow of air in a TLUD using hexagonal logs?
How does one avoid CO2 formation using hexagonal logs?

Does anyone on the list have experience with the torrefaction of biomass?

Thanks.
Paul Olivier

> Similarly rotary die extruders  use pinch rollers to punch small
> amounts of feed through the holes.
>

> Have a look at:
>
> http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5738e/x5738e0j.htm
>

> AJH