[Stoves] Burning wet wood

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 15:01:47 CDT 2013

Dear Dean

Agreed. I believe that Ernestine's doctoral work with you for a year is a
good indication that this is also true for wood.

For those who have not seen her thesis, it was a comparison of emissions for
low, medium and high moisture fuels and how different stoves handled it.

Gus: The people in Java use the charcoal remaining from fires to warm the
wood for tomorrow. This is important because it affects the fuel use that
must be attributed to a meal (the char is not thrown away but it is consumed
each day) and it means they are operating at a high system efficiency
considering the drying that is being accomplished.

+++++++

Hi All,

I find that pellets burn cleaner in TLUDs when at about 10% to 15% moisture
content like sticks of wood. In both cases a slower burn helps to meter the
fuel.

Best,

Dean