[Stoves] wheat husk pellets

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Jun 12 20:05:00 CDT 2013

Paul (cc Alex)

This is to respond to your question:
Do you have any other other alternative to the use of fossil fuels?

Here are three alternatives, from my perspective:
a. Continued growth of the electrical system. Electricity is a great way to cook. As we decide to get off fossil-fueled electricity, biomass will be used for backup to wind and solar. As we realize the need to get back to 350 ppm CO2, then the best biomass option is with biochar - Backup with CHP in 10 -20 MW scale, not the GW scale assumed for BECCS.
b. Natural gas for cooking will be replaced slowly by pyrolysis gas (and electricity). City gas (from biomass) came before natural gas.
c. Liquid fuels can also come from pyrolysis with char co-product when we decide we need to get to 350 ppm. Cooking can be that way as well.

Half the world can still rely on TLUD designs for cooking. Not for most on this list, including Alex and I, because we can afford to keep what we now use. But for half the world, a TLUD could be the cheapest - and so you need to keep developing your type. That's a big market. One caution - solar cooking for some meals will creep in - because it will be the cheapest.

Note that all four approaches involve char-making - since I assume an eventual recognition both that all fossil fuels must go and also that we need 350 or lower.

No doubt Alex agrees with all this. Your reaction?

Ron