[Stoves] Burning wet wood

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Wed Jun 12 21:03:44 CDT 2013

Why burn wet wood?
Designing stoves around improperly prepared fuels is a real headache.

The same logic applies to coal.Coal preparation facilities run coal through
centrifuges and other devices to bring down the moisture content.
Every percentage of moisture or ash takes away from the BTU content of the
coal.It is so inefficient to burn dirty coal or coal of a high moisture
content.

Some say that there is no such thing as a bad fuels, just bad stoves. Just
ask anyone in the coal industry if there is any such thing as a bad coal.
They will immediately point to many things that could make coal unfit for
combustion. They will point to things such as moisture content, ash
content, sulfur content, grindability, ash fusion temperature, grain size,
MAF calorific value, volatile matter content, fixed carbon content and much
more. Imagine how inefficient the coal industry would be if it had to
design power stations around each type of bad coal presented to it.

If we prepare fuels correctly, designing stoves is so easy. We focus far
too much on designing stoves and surely not enough on preparing fuels. This
is the big mistake that most funding organizations make in their promotion
of clean cook stoves.

Thanks.
Paul Olivier

Paul A. Olivier PhD