[Stoves] Burning wet wood

nari phaltan nariphaltan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 03:09:45 CDT 2013

Our lanstove is a classical example of clean kerosene burning.
www.nariphaltan.org/kerosene.pdf

Cheers.

Anil

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <
crispinpigott at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Paul O****
>
> ** **
>
> *>*It is so inefficient to burn dirty coal or coal of a high moisture
> content.****
>
> ** **
>
> Please define a ‘dirty coal’. I have used many coals and they all made my
> hands dirty. I know you mean they burn badly in devices they are not suited
> for, right?****
>
> ** **
>
> >Some say that there is no such thing as a bad fuels, just bad stoves. ***
> *
>
> ** **
>
> I can certainly say that from personal experience of designing coal stoves
> and advising coal stove designers. ****
>
> ** **
>
> >Just ask anyone in the coal industry if there is any such thing as a bad
> coal.****
>
> ** **
>
> Let us hear from them what a ‘bad coal’. I would like to know.****
>
> ** **
>
> >They will immediately point to many things that could make coal unfit
> for combustion. ****
>
> ** **
>
> Combustion in what? Good grief. If you build a device to burn anthracite
> and load lignite into it there will be all sorts of smoke and CO. If you
> put diesel into a gasoline engine you get a similar result – for very
> obvious reasons. Is anyone surprised?****
>
> ** **
>
> >They will point to things such as moisture content, ash content, sulfur
> content, grindability, ash fusion temperature, grain size, MAF calorific
> value, volatile matter content, fixed carbon content and much more. ****
>
> ** **
>
> Those are all issues that can be addressed when designing a combustor.
> When trying to make a short, hot, small, fan powered multi megawatt
> combustor, they are very careful to pick a coal to match exactly.****
>
> ** **
>
> Europeans think they are really good at burning coal – centuries of
> experience, right? They bring their power station combustors to South
> Africa and show them off. They all fail. None of them work. Why? Lots of
> South Africans build coal burners that work really well. They also have
> years of experience: *designing combustors that work with their local
> coal! **Quelle surprise.** *****
>
> ** **
>
> The new power station Eskom is building right now can burn coal with 40%
> ash. A European ‘coal expert’ will tell you that is a ‘lousy, unburnable
> coal’. It works fine if you have a clue what you are doing.****
>
> ** **
>
> >Imagine how inefficient the coal industry would be if it had to design
> power stations around each type of bad coal presented to it.****
>
> ** **
>
> Imagine trying to design a biomass stove that was tuned to each type of
> fuel that happened to be available…oh wait…that is exactly what is
> [...]

Nimbkar Agricultural Research Institute (NARI)
Tambmal, Phaltan-Lonand Road
P.O.Box 44
Phaltan-415523, Maharashtra, India
Ph:91-2166-222396/220945