[Stoves] Burning wet wood

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Thu Jun 13 19:21:14 CDT 2013

Crispin,

My point of departure is a top-lit, updraft gasifier that makes biochar.
Everything that I have written previously has to be understood in this
light. This could be contrasted with a direct combustion unit, but this was
not my point at all. But direct combustion units do not have a very great
appeal among the Vietnamese.

I do not think that I could interest very many households in Vietnam to
switch from bottled gas to a biomass fuel if I were to ask them to directly
combust biomass in their kitchens. Most Vietnamese might not make a lot of
money per month, but they are sharp, intelligent and enterprising. They see
direct combustion units associated with poverty. They are not attracted to
handling a messy biomass of a low bulk density, and there is also a strong
social resistance even against handling loose rice hulls. This is
especially true in an urban setting.

Rice is a major export item for Vietnam, and it is grown on over 80% of the
agricultural land in Vietnam. Therefore, Vietnam produces a lot of rice
hulls. In the highland areas where rice is not grown, we find coffee husks.
So for the Vietnamese, there are these two readily available fuels. We also
see rice hulls or coffee husks in many other Asian countries. Now let me
pose the following question to you.

Do you think that you could build a small direct combustion unit that would
handle loose rice hulls and loose coffee husks as neatly and cleanly as a
TLUD? I have seen many people who try to burn these two waste products, but
there is always a lot of smoke. The coffee husk is especially nasty to
combust. When burned, it emits a strong, black, pungent smoke. I would
insist that this direct combustion unit for rice hulls and coffee husks not
emit a whiff of visible smoke at any time during its entire operation.

Finally I must caution that the direct combustion of rice hulls is not
ideal, since the ash might easily contain cristobalite. How would
cristobalite formation be avoided in a direct combustion unit processing a
biomass that has an appreciable content of amorphous silica?

Thanks.
Paul

Paul A. Olivier PhD
26/5 Phu Dong Thien Vuong