[Stoves] : Re: Insulation and stove life

Rebecca A. Vermeer ravermeer at telus.net
Fri Jun 14 03:25:38 CDT 2013

Paul,
I currently use wood ash as  insulating material between the kalan and combustion chamber of the eco-kalan (a rocket stove using wood, charcoal, coconut husk, shell, fronds and other parts of the coconut tree).  The eco-kalan uses 75-85% less firewood and therefore a lot less ash is produced compared to traditional kalans and other traditional cookstoves in Negros Oriental, Philippines.   A shortage in supply of ash is one factor which affects  sales of eco-kalan.    I  have considered making an insulating material  using a  50-50 mix by volume of rice hull & clay in the form of pellets or bricks which would be broken to pieces after firing.  I would fire the pellets or the bricks along with the eco-kalans up to 900 degrees Celsius.  Will there be significant formation of cristobalite under these conditions?  Would handling the fired pellets or the breaking of the bricks be a health hazard?  Thanks,

Rebecca Vermeer