[Stoves] Chimneys, rice husks

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Fri Jun 14 10:37:23 CDT 2013

Bob:

Nice note. Thanks.

1. An alternative to a chimney is a vent hood. Could that work in a Maasai home?

2. Marc Pare (cc'd) spent quite a bit of time in Viet Nam cleaning up a terrible problem with smoke for brick kilns that were mostly using rice husk combustion by switching to pyrolysis of husks (and saving money to boot). Any complaints in Maasai territory on their technology?

3. Re making bricks, could that be done with "waste" heat from a charcoal-making stove? I am wondering if anyone on the list has ever put one raw brick (or pottery, etc) in the combustion region of a TLUD to make home-made bricks or crafts. At 16 bricks to the $, it probably doesn't make sense, but that is not the brick price in Colorado. You also might find some benefits in retained heat cooking using a just-fired hot brick.

Ron .