[Stoves] Chimneys, rice husks

Alex English english at kingston.net
Fri Jun 14 19:02:44 CDT 2013

Crispin,
With the pellet burner that you saw in my house (5 meter chimney) there
is significant draft variation based on out side temperature and wind.
Up to a factor of four in gusty conditions. You would think it a perfect
application for a barometric damper. However the windier days tend to
increase my house heating load and the increased draft pulls
proportionately harder on both the primary and secondary air resulting
in higher output without noticeable changes in combustion quality or
system efficiency. This differs from the oil burner which doesn't
increase fuel to match the increase in air during similar conditions. I
would have to put this in a lab to see what the precise limits of this are.

Alex