[Stoves] Chimneys, rice husks [Ovens]

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Sat Jun 15 02:55:43 CDT 2013

But, Stephen, temperatures can rise above 900 C when burning rice hulls.
If we operate at low temperatures (450 C) in burning rice hulls, are we not
inevitably making a lot of smoke?
Even at relatively low average combustion temperatures, will there not be a
tendency for hot zones to form within the combustor?

Paul Olivier

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Stephen Joseph <joey.stephen at gmail.com>wrote:

> All
>
> There has been a lot of work done on formation of crystobalite.  The rate
> of formation is both a function of time and temerature
>
> If you have low temperatures (450c) and short times (<60 minutes)you wont
> produce it.
>
> Mehta in India did a lot of work on this in the 80's and published a book
> on rice husk ash cement if I remember correctly
>
> Regards
> Stephen
>

> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Paul Olivier <paul.olivier at esrla.com>wrote:
>
>> Tom,
>>
>> I found this news report:
>>
>> http://www.ipsnews.net/2009/10/thailand-renewable-energy-not-so-clean-and-green-after-all/
>> Not such a nice story.
>> I do not think it's a good idea to burn rice hulls or rice straw in
>> either power plants, brick kilns or household stoves.
>>
>> Paul
>>

>> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Paul Olivier <paul.olivier at esrla.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Tom,
>>>
>>> I have read in many articles that cristobalite can form at temperatures
>>> of about 900 C.
>>> http://www.jicosh.gr.jp/old/niih/en/indu_hel/2004/pdf/42-2-24.pdf
>>> In burning rice hulls, temperatures can easily exceed 900 C.
>>> If cristobalite forms and is breathed in, human health is severely
>>> impacted: silicosis, tuberculosis, cancer and so forth.
>>>
>>> *Silica (SiO2) is a constituent of the ash produced by the combustion
>>> process. Different
>>> types of biomass fuels contain different quantities of silica. The
>>> International Agency for
>>> Research on Cancer has classified silica as a human carcinogen. Long
>>> term inhalation
>>> of airborne silica particulates can cause lung cancer or other related
>>> health problems.
>>> As rice hull ash contains high levels of silica (~15%), its use as a
>>> biomass fuel
>>> presumably increases the risk of developing silicosis-related illnesses,
>>> and care should
>>> be used in handling the ash.*
>>>
>>> http://www.reap-canada.com/online_library/IntDev/id_eco_sugarcane/7%20Strategies%20for.pdf
>>>
>>> *Silica (SiO2) is the main mineral component of rice husk ash (RHA)
>>> (85-90 per cent). It carries serious health risks, particularly to the
>>> respiratory system.*
>>> http://www.dhf.uu.se/pdffiler/cc7/cc7_web_art4.pdf
>>>
>>> Cristobalite can be present in both the ash and fly ash. If someone
>>> designs a stove to burn rice hulls or rice straw, he has to be sure that
>>> temperatures remain below the point of cristobalite formation.
>>>
>>> Paul

>>> Dalat