[Stoves] Low temperature vs high temperature charcoal?

Carefreeland at aol.com Carefreeland at aol.com
Sun Jun 16 19:34:53 CDT 2013

Tom, Tom, Listers,
    I would think that there would be a reduction in  tars in the higher
temp chars. This might have some advantages in less surface  tension of water.
The tars, on the other hand may have some beneficial use in  reducing,
insects, fungus or bacteria growth in chars used for soil enhancement.  The
chars created in a gasifier or less efficient system such as an open fire or
various older systems of char making would all contain more ash. The extra ash
 would have benefits as a nearly balanced fertilizer in the soil. Minus
only  nitrogen.
    It surprises me that higher temp chars  would have a lower surface
area. Has anybody studied the  relationship between the time it takes to cook
the char and the amount of  surface area created?  I would think the higher
temperatures and faster  cooking would rupture the cell membranes violently
and to a greater extent from  flashing steam. Would this create more or less
surface area?  Would  carbonized cells have a greater CEC with tiny holes in
them from slow cooking or  larger more accessible ruptures from fast
cooking? Would some cells not rupture  completely?  or be blocked in large chunks
of charcoal from acting to  absorb water and minerals?
    Obviously, the type of biomass would  also be a great variable in the
surface area equation as cells rupture  based on their design. Old gunpowder
makers knew this from experience that is  why low ash, high surface area
Willow and Dogwood were favored. The Dogwood for  dense, high octane powder and
the Willow for light, fast burninig powder.
    I think that nature already has figured this out in  a beautiful way-
as usual. Char for soil is best created in hot but inefficient  forest fires.
Char for use as a fuel for man is best created with a high yield  and lots
of hydrocarbons in a closed retort system. All other uses fall on  a scale
in between. The Biblical saying "Render unto God what is  God's" comes to
mind. And you thought it was just about taxes!
    I like to burn my brush in a big cut open tank in  the garden. All the
ash flies out into the air and lands well distributed all  over the garden.
This saves me the task of spreading the ash. In forest fires  the majority
of the char forms underground or under ash. Again, Nature  is still one or
many steps ahead of us.
    Only questions, no answers as usual. No lab or even  a greenhouse
anymore to experiment with.  Have fun all you college types.  Let me know what
you find. I do still read some of the letters now and  then.
    Keep Charring and Stoving,

    Dan Dimiduk
    From the peanut gallery.

In a message dated 6/16/2013 4:41:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,