[Stoves] Low temperature vs high temperature charcoal?

Carefreeland at aol.com Carefreeland at aol.com
Sun Jun 16 22:00:03 CDT 2013

Josh,
    You have come to the right person to enhance your  work with reducing
pesticide residues in drinking water. I do belive in divine  intervention.
    Just so happens that I was highly involved  politically in the early (
1985?) local work to reduce wellfield groundwater  contamination of
primarily organic hydrocarbon solvents from  landfills. I also have close ties to
Ohio State here where most of the research  work with reducing pesticide
residues in groundwater took place. This is because  I was a licenced pesticide
applicator for nearly 30 years. I also have followed  groundwater issues
through my hobbie as a caver.
    A few useful facts:
   1) Dayton, Ohio, was the first place in the world to  have a Groundwater
Protection Ordinance. Work by local environmental companies,  Colleges and
the EPA,  along with some funding from the Air Force  produced the first air
strippers still in use today.  They  work to evaporate VOC's ( Volitile
Organic Compounds)  from  groundwater contamination interceptor wells.  Inside
the air stripper  towers, contaminalted groundwater is cascaded over a
rising airstream. The water  is then returned to a river to complete the task of
removing remaininig  traces of VOC's. The wellfields my children drink from
are protected  from leaching solvents near the source of contamination.
    2) A great deal of work was funded by pesticide  producers at OSU (
Ohio State University) and possibly ODARC in the 1990's to  investigate cases
of farm well contamination. The results were quite  encouraging. Extensive
studies showed that only the concentrated pesticides  being dumped near the
wells when over filling spray tanks was causing the  vast majority of
contaminated drinking water cases.
    Normal proper use of pesticides in the field  following lable
recomendations resulted in no contamination of groundwater with  only a rare few
minor exceptions. Note that this was done with early 1990's era  pesticides in
use in the USA. More persistant DDT, Chloridane, and other  older, banned
chemicals were not considered. I'm sure traces were detected  in the studies
from old spills.
    The new guidelines were written for:  filling tanks and spraying only
away from wells, use of backflow and  shutoff devises, construction of spill
containment pads, along with other  measures to reduce spills of
concentrate, all have largely eliminated the  contamination problems.  New wells,
drilled away from contaminated areas  have now proven clean sources of drinking
water over time. The biological  activity in the shallow depths of the fields
degrades the pesticides completely  in most cases. Only excessive
applications on porous soils with heavy rain  following the application produced
measurable trace leaching below the surface.
    The newest chemicals have been designed and put to  these tests with
even more monitoring of field residues. New application  techniques take field
studies into consideration. IPM or Intigrated Pest  Management, now reduces
the use of pesticides to only as needed.

    My recomendations:
    A) I would consider an airation step early in your  water treatment
program. This would reduce the VOC's and allow for longer use of  Charcoal.
Also use of lime to precipitate acidic formulations before filtering  would
help.
    B) I would examine pesticide use management  programs in areas where
residues are being found. You might even ask  representatives from the
companies producing and selling the pesticides to  examine the application
procedures. Nobody knows their chemicals better than  them. Any contamination from
their chemicals is bad for their sales.
    C) Following up along with new wells drilled where  contamination is
untolerable will make water purification much easier. Reverse  osmosis for
severly contaminated drinking water may be an expensive but  necessesary option
in the short run.
    D) The greatest risk from traces of most of these  chemicals mentioned
is internal cancers and brith defects. Neither of which is  easy to quickly
trace back to the source of the problem. You might want to  monitor the
nearby clinics for spikes in these problems.  Encourage  expectant and nursing
mothers to watch the source of drinking water.
    Glad that all this dormant knowledge can again be  put to use. Good
luck.

    Dan Dimiduk
    Founder : Shangri- La Research and Development.
    Owner: Carefree Landscape Maintenance Co.

In a message dated 6/16/2013 8:50:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,