[Stoves] Insulation and stove life

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Jun 18 10:34:17 CDT 2013

Dear Paul
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Paul Olivier
  To: Discussion of biomass cooking stoves
  Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 9:09 PM
  Subject: Re: [Stoves] Insulation and stove life

  Kevin,

  You write: Rice Hulls are very interesting. While they have a high percentage of highly siliceous ash, complete combustion could potentially make the ash available in a hazardous manner.  In Paul O's case, where he is interested in char making, I would guess that most of the siliceous components would remain embedded within the char particles, in a safe and non-hazardous manner. However, some ash particles would be liberated in that some of the char would be burned in the pyrolysis process.

  If, in a TLUD, air does not flow up the reactor in a uniform manner, channeling occurs, and zones that are incredibly hot are created. If the biomass contains amorphous silica, some of this silica will surely be converted into cristobalite at such high temperatures.

  # Certainly, channelling is a problem. It is caused by "non-uniform fuel" (both size and density), that has too much "primary air pressure." Unfortunately, once it starts, it tends to get worse. Additionally, as the channel diameter increases, even more air tends to flow up through it, creating a locally intense combustion condition.

   When this mixture of biochar and ash containing cristobalite is removed from the reactor and handled, it would be so easy for the operator to breathe this deadly mixture.

  # Could to problem be reduced to an acceptable level, by lightly spraying teh Ash plus biochar with a light spray of water from a hand-operated sprayer bottle?

  The possibility of channeling is minimized if the biomass is thoroughly uniform. Also in the design of the stove, one has to be careful that the fan is not too powerful. Turning up a powerful fan a bit too high will cause channeling.
  # Yes, the fan pressure and flow must be controlled or limited, in a way to prevent channelling, or "spouting" of the fuel bed.

  Also rice hulls from most mills that I have seen in Vietnam are not properly dedusted. Consequently there is always some particulate matter in the syngas. This particulate matter might also contain cristobalite.

  # If the presence of dust is a problem, could you not configure a very simple "Rice Hull De-duster"? The equivalent to a "Seed Cleaner" that blew off teh dust and chaff, while allowing the hulls to be recovered should work well. BTW.... "gasifier gas" is not "syngas". "syngas is a gas of definite composition, intended for use as a 'feedgas to a synthesis process." It would more accurately be called "Producer Gas", "Rice Hull Gas", etc.

  One simple way to solve these two problems is to use a pelleted fuel. Here the flow of air will be perfectly uniform. The pellet is relatively heavy and is not easily displaced within the reactor by a powerful fan. Also the pellet does not have much dust associated with it.
  # Certainly, more dense pellets would permit higher "under-bed pressure" without channelling. From a "big picture standpoint", one can certainly reduce the tendency for channelling by "de-dusting" the fuel, and then simply reducing the "under-bed pressure."

  So as you see, I have been working for several years on a unit to gasify loose rice hulls. But in the last few weeks I have begun to have serious doubts about the safety of such an apparatus. I feel strongly that the rice hull should be pelleted if it is to be used safely within a stove.
  # Simple pelletizing the rice hulls may not reduce the tendency for dust and particulate emissions, in that with the greater density, and reduced channelling tendency, one would be tempted to increase the "under-bed pressure", to increase air flow, and heat output rate. The 'local air velocity" may actually be high enough to scour off ash and carry it out of the stove.

  Also please do not think about directly combusting any form of biomass that contains appreciable amounts of amorphous silica. For example, burning rice hull pellets is not a very good idea. And yet sadly, this is what is happening to most rice hull pellets in Vietnam. Imagine the poor workers who handle this ash.

  # I would suggest that in a TLUD producing char, there is still some "localized complete combustion", where it is possible for some of the silica ash to be freed up from the char, so that it can be blown away. Most would, of course, be trapped within the char. The higher the localized velocity through the bed, then teh greater the likelihood of ash being carried out of the stove with teh products of combustion.

  # What do you think of my previous suggestion of adding Ca(OH)2 to the RH fuel, before combustion? Basically, the Rice Hulls could be sprayed with "white-wash", and then be allowed to "sun dry." The idea is that the reactive silica would react with the Ca(OH)2, to form a "Calcium Silicate" of some sort, that would stay with the char, rather than venting into the Living space.
  Best wishes,

  Kevin

  Thanks.

  Paul Olivier