[Stoves] [biochar] First report from Phnom Penh

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Mon Mar 18 20:23:14 CDT 2013

Christina,

See comments.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:56 AM, Christina Espinosa <
c_espinosa1 at u.pacific.edu> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> First, I must say that LPG is really expensive in Vietnam. That is
> unfortunate that the cost to use it is so high. However, LPG is not this
> expensive all developing countries.
>
> It's my opinion, that to say we should not be including LPG as part of
> the solution is a bad step in the wrong direction. There is
> a preference from many families around the world to transition to using
> LPG, so who are we to say "no you shouldn't use it for cooking." I am
> guessing that most of us on the list use some type of fossil fuel for
> cooking right? Do each of us on the listserv use our preferred improved
> cookstove technology to cook each of our own meals everyday? Probably not.

No one in developing or developed countries should be relying exclusively
on fossil fuels to cook meals. If we design stoves for poor people, we
should be the first in line to use them.

> We surveyed 300 families here in Guatemala and 90% of our respondents
> using wood were interested in switching to using LPG. Of these respondents
> 76% of families could afford the monthly cost of LPG and a monthly payment
> for an LPG start-up package.
>
> Guatemala is a great example of a country that has many people that would
> prefer to use LPG. It doesn't make sense to exclude options for them to
> finance a LPG starter kit and have regular affordable access to LPG.

Why promote the use of fossil fuels?
The price of bottled gas will continue to rise.

> I think Kirk Smith might say it better than I could:
>
> "Does it make sense to ask the poor to take on novel devices and fuels
> that have never been tried elsewhere, because otherwise we may add a bit to
> GHG emissions or shorten the petroleum era by a few weeks? Shouldn’t it be
> those that produce the most GHG and have the resources and technology to do
> something about it who shoulder the burden of testing and using new low-GHG
> high efficiency technologies?"

Yes, exactly. We rich people design stoves for poor people that we
ourselves would never use. We should be all be feverishly designing stoves
for use in the developed world. Why focus just on poor people?

> http://ehs.sph.berkeley.edu/krsmith/publications/02_smith_3.pdf
>
> We know that LPG can produce the desired health effects...so it doesn't
> make sense for us to label it as a rich persons fuel and exclude its
> potential for poor families to adopt it.

But LPG is not the only option for poor people, especially poor people who
can barely afford LPG.

> There is not one single stove or fuel that will be the answer for every
> family, in every country. Lets all work together to give families the
> chance to choose a variety of affordable options to clean cooking.

But let us present them with all options.