[Stoves] Fourth report from Phnom Penh (both stoves and biochar focus)

sonta at emerging.se sonta at emerging.se
Thu Mar 21 11:35:15 CDT 2013

Dear Dr.Larson!

My apologies for the late contribution to this.We
are happy with the biochar and i personally have been using this a lot
at home in my garden and i have found it be practically very useful. I
have seen improvements in the soil structure for example.I would propose
that we meet tomorrow with Mattias in copy during tea break at 10:30 if
thats fine with you.

Warm Regards!

On 2013-03-21 15:29,
rongretlarson at comcast.net wrote:

> Hi all
>
> This was a truncated
day - but started early.

> 1. Breakfast for second time with two from
Ethiopia (where I have spent considerable time)

> 2. 8:00 - 9:30 in
breakout session on stoves in China. Tami Bond was first speaker -
somewhat repeating an earlier plenary alkon black carbon - with emphasis
this time on climate and China. Other speakers emphasizing more health
aspect. I really liked last speaker (Yeoguong Zhou of China Agricultural
University) who noted 11 ways that errors (some quite significant) can
come into stove testing.

> 3. 10- 5:00 (in our case till 2:00 -
allowing some catchup time) tours to 4-5 different places. We went in
four 12-person vans to two somewhat coupled places. The first making
charcoal briquettes; the second a stove testing facility (one of 6-8 set
up by GACC around the world, using approaches (and hardware) developed
by Aprovecho). The latter still operated by a French NGO called GERES..
The first is now private but is an offshoot of GERES work.

> 4. From
about 4:30 to 6:00 (probably went longer), we wandered around a parking
lot with about 15-20 different stove operations. Two were solar, a few
fossil fuel (alcohol, propane or LPG) and the rest about evenly split
between "rockets" and T-LUDs. This is a much larger showing- for TLUDS
than represented in the talks and standards/testing,etc. I took quite a
few photos. One surprise was a thermoelectric generator unit part of a
TLUD with a $100 price tag.- one designed for car batteries (14.5
volts).

> 5. 6:00 to 7:30 - a reception (free beer, wine and peanuts)
to listen to an industry sales pitch for LPG. Cleverly done; bullding
mainly on the health benefits of LPG. Attendance relatively low (40?).

> 7. Tomorrow AM another biochar subgroup meeting (700 to 8:00 AM)

Ron

> -------------------------
> FROM: rongretlarson at comcast.net

TO: "Discussion of biomass cooking stoves"
<stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
sonta at emerging.se, dylanmontreal at gmail.com, adrian at rocketworks.org,
Paul at burndesignlab.com, deanstll at gmail.com, "Priyadarshini Karve"
<pkarve at arti-india.org>, "biochar" <biochar at yahoogroups.com>
> SENT:
Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:36:48 AM
> SUBJECT: [biochar] Third report
from Phnom Penh (both stoves and biochar focus)

> Hi again
>
> This
report being written on the fourth day (Thursday) about the third day
(Wednesday).

> 1. Eighteen of us who were interested in biochar met
from 7 to 8:30. About half new to biochar and TLUDs. Anyone interested
in these names please send me a note.

> 2. Plenary from 8:30 to 10:00
mostly involved government officials - especially interesting was
hearing from persons representing Philips and GIZ.

12:00 I missed - my having computer problems. Anyone else able to
report?

> 4. 12:30 to 2:00 A lunch featuring 4 world famous chefs -
seving as "ambassadors" for GACC. Lead chef was Jose Andres from US -
very inspirational speaker.- a good choice (like Julia Roberts - who has
not been present). This s a good place to say the GACC organizers have
done an excellent job with conference details.

> 5. 2:00 to 3:30 Out
of usual 5 choices, I went to one on the standards being developed
through (mainly) ISO and (US) ANSI. Mostly a description of the process,
which is just getting underway. Lots on this at GACC site.. Briefly also
went to session where Priya Karve was speaking on technology selection.
I think all slide presentations will soon be up on GACC site. Full
agenda is there now.

> 6. 4:00 to 5:30 - I chose to go to session on
forthcoming M&E (Monitoring and Evaluation). Good talks by a) Christoph
Messiinger of GIZ (Germain doing best work in the stove area for many
years) and Michael Sage from (US) CDC on the very beginning efforts to
develop a GACC methodology. This is to fill out the overall goal of 100
million new improved stoves by 2020. Kenya's goal is 7 million.

> 7.
6:30 to 8:00 (and much later) An awards banquet and poster session. I
was surprised by the large number of posters. Not sure how - but I think
GACC paid for all and they were all easy to read. Many were stove
suppliers. Priya Karve had one for Samuchit (not ARTI). The key award
was given to Prof. Kirk Smith. He noted that he had close call 43 (?)
years ago in leaving Phnom Penh as Pol Pot terror was just beginning.
Cambodia now much different. Everyone very friendly.
> I had interesting
long discussion with a developer from LBL with a solid oxide fuel cell
msutable to be put directly in stove flame (need 600-900 oC). Cost
expected to be about $15 to $20 for about 5 watts. Company name Point
Source Power (www.pointsourcepower.com) represented by Pres./CEO Craig
Jacobson of Alameda, CA. On the market soon - saw several products.(cell
phone rechargers, flashlights, etc). The key disposable parts are
compressed charcoal "chips" of about 2 sq in size.

> End of day 3
report.

rongretlarson at comcast.net
<stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>, "biochar" <biochar at yahoogroups.com>

CC: Ruben at ace.co.ls, sonta at emerging.se, dylanmontreal at gmail.com,
adrian at rocketworks.org, Paul at burndesignlab.com, deanstll at gmail.com,
"Priyadarshini Karve" <pkarve at arti-india.org>
> SENT: Tuesday, March 19,
2013 10:39:12 AM
> SUBJECT: [Stoves] Second report from Phnom Penh

Hi again all (adding Dean Still)

> 1. Very good opening plenary with
lead off by UC Berkeley Prof Kirk Smith - the most well known world
expert in stove health topics (Household Air Pollution (HAP) now #4
killer - about 4 million per year. Emphasized difficulty of making
changes. He was followed by U Illinois professor Tami Bond, who was the
main speaker at the last Ethos conference and who has also done a lot of
stove testing.

> 2. I then attended a breakout session chaired by
Christa Roth of GIZ. She also was at last ETHOS meeting and has great
summary book on char-making and gasifier stoves. Great talk by Paul
Means of Burn Lab (Seattle) on the (mostly transportation) reasons NOT
to work with charcoal made in remote areas.

> 3. I missed the next
plenary on major country GACC programs, but attended a well-done
breakout survey of stove activities in China.
> Here Dean Still raved
about the capabilities of the Chinese stove community. In particular the
Stove Tec main Chinese partner was there (Mr. Chen or Shen). Apparently
there is little activity with char-making stoves (I will try to get
Dean's view on that). But at the same Chinese meeting today, I met
several groups that are working in China on char-making stoves. GACC
might have a list of Chinese stove manufacturers.
> Talked with several
Chinese forestry experts (and China is doing quite well in this
area)..

> 4. Tonight was the main banquet - during most of which we
were entertained by 25-30 young Cambodian folk dancers/musicians..

5. Afterwards, I visited the small display area of stoves - maybe 20 in
all and maybe 5 were char making. Gustavo Pena of El Salvador showed me
a char-making stove of his own design with lots of "attachments"
(including an oven) [couldn't find a website]. Also saw several stoves
being sold in China by Dylan Maxwell of Novotera and Planetstove. More
coming on this.

-------------------------
<pkarve at arti-india.org>, ","paul anderson" <psanders at ilstu.edu>,
"Crispin Pemberton-Pigott" <crispinpigott at gmail.com>, Ruben at ace.co.ls,
adrian at rocketworks.org, sonta at emerging.se
> SENT: Monday, March 18, 2013
8:19:14 AM
> SUBJECT: First report from Phnom Penh
>
> Hi to two lists
(with 6 ccs)

> 1. This written at end of "first" day of conference.
Actually the official first GACC day is tomorrow, but today was also the
second day of pre-conference activities.. List members active on these
two lists, here (and shown on the "to" list), who I hope will add more
are Priya Karve, Paul Anderson and Crispin Pemberton-Piggott. I missed
the first day - Sunday - returning from Siem Reap - home of Angkor Wat.
This is definitely the most impressive world heritage site I have seen
or could imagine. Uniformly impressed by the Cambodian people.

> 2.
My overall impression is that very few attendees know much about biochar
nor char-making stoves. Of course most everyone knows something about
stoves - although I would guess that fewer than half have been involved
for more than a year or two Heard tonight that there are 650
registrants. Great conference facilities; no conference registration fee
and fair number of freebie meals, coffee-break treats etc.

> 3. My
first surprise char-making stove encounter was with Sonta Kauti, a
Zambian with "Emerging Cooking Solutions" - whose stove can be seen at
www.emerging.se. I have not yet seen the actual stove, nor yet know its
pricing - but plan more talks with Sonta

> 4. Next was a short
encounter with Ruben Walker of "African Clean Energy" (see
http://www.ace.co.ls/), now manufacturing in Lesotho the "Philips" fan
stove developed by Paul van der Sluis (PvdS). This has been identified
as having the best performance characteristics so far tested. This was
my first chance to hold one - and it looks exceptionally well made. A
surprise was the set of 10 or 12 (?) flat ceramic liner pieces for the
interior (maybe 1 cm thick??). Presumably long life time - being
non-metal. Ruben said one could hold the outside of the stove after an
hour of cooking -possible because there are four concentric metal
cylinders (three concentric air gaps). This stove is not char making -
but I remember hearing that PvdS regularly operates it as a
charcoal-maker. Cost in neighborhood of $70.

> 5. Later, at this
evening's reception, Mr. Adrian Padt of "Rocket Works" introduced
himself (see http://www.rocketworks.org/ - including photo of Adrian).
This is the stove with the interesting heavy wire mesh exterior that we
discussed a few months ago - also can be held. This also looked
exceptionally well made and rugged. Cost in the neighborhood of $50. In
addition to the version seen at the site, they are now adding a door to
better control excess air.

> 6. I attended a day-long session put on
by the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank.- the emphasis was on
country organizations in this region. Crispin was on what I thought the
best panel - on testing, etc. This is to hope that Priya, Paul, and
Crispin (and anyone else from these lists here in Phnom Penh) will also
add their early summary thoughts.

> Any questions I/we can try to
answer?

> Ron
your List Settings use the web page

> for more Biomass Cooking Stoves, News and Information see our web
site:
> http://www.bioenergylists.org/
>
> __._,_.___

web post [1]
> Reply to sender
> Reply to group
> Start a New Topic
[2]
> Messages in this topic [3] (6)
>
> Recent Activity:
>
> * New
Members [4] 2

> Visit Your Group [5]
> [6]
> Switch to: Text-Only,
Daily Digest * Unsubscribe * Terms of Use [7] * Send us Feedback

> .

> __,_._,___

Links:
------
[1]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/biochar/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJyZDdiYWtnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNDM4MDUyBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNzQxODYxMgRtc2dJZAMxNDY4MQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEzNjM4NTUwMTE-?act=reply&messageNum=14681
[2]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/biochar/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZXBlbDE5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNDM4MDUyBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNzQxODYxMgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNjM4NTUwMTE-
[3]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/biochar/message/14670;_ylc=X3oDMTM3amw1bzR1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNDM4MDUyBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNzQxODYxMgRtc2dJZAMxNDY4MQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNjM4NTUwMTEEdHBjSWQDMTQ2NzA-
[4]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/biochar/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnMHBkMmc3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNDM4MDUyBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNzQxODYxMgRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMzYzODU1MDEx?o=6
[5]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/biochar;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdjY0bHQ0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyNDM4MDUyBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNzQxODYxMgRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzNjM4NTUwMTE-