[Stoves] [biochar] First report from Phnom Penh

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 21:21:14 CDT 2013

Dear Crispin,
the biogas plant filled with charcoal accepted three times the normal
quantity of feedstock and also produced daily three times as much
biogas. It did this for about three months, after which it suddenly
stopped producing any biogas. We tried giving it a rest for a view
weeks, but it did not recover. We reduced the feedstock quantity back
to 1g per litre, but it did not produce any biogas. Three g per litre
of digester capacity represent overfeeding under normal circumstances.
As long as the charcoal in the biogas plant was active, the plant
could accept the high dose of the feedstock. But at some point of
time, the charcoal became inactive and without realising it, we kept
feeding the system with three times the allowable quantity of
feedstock. I think that the pH of the substrate became acidic, causing
the biogas production to stop.
Yours
A.D.Karve

--