[Stoves] New stoves article

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu May 2 19:09:17 CDT 2013

Lists: cc Jim

1. This is to announce a new important stove paper that comes out tomorrow (May 3rd). It is sponsored, so NOT behind a pay wall. Here is the URL:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/ipdf/10.1021/es304942e

Cleaner Cooking Solutions to Achieve Health, Climate, and Economic Cobenefits
Susan C. Anenberg,*,†,‡ Kalpana Balakrishnan,§ James Jetter,∥ Omar Masera,⊥ Sumi Mehta,¶
Jacob Moss,†,‡ and Veerabhadran Ramanathan#

†U.S. Department of State, Washington, DC, United States
‡Office of Air and Radiation, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC, United States
§Department of Environmental Health and Engineering, Sri Ramachandra University, Chennai, India
∥Office of Research and Development, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, United States
⊥Center for Ecosystem Research, National Autonomous University of Mexico, Morelia, Mexico
¶Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves, Washington, DC, United States
#Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California-San Diego, San Diego, California, United States

2. This 9-pager does a nice job of explaining the problem and the rapidly growing programs to improve stoves. I didn't find anything to complain about. There are 67 references - and I now need to review many of them.

3. What I am unhappy about is that there is essentially no technical discussion of the options, and none (AT ALL) on the potential of char-making stoves - which I claim offer the best hope of achieving the three goals of the title: Health, Climate, and Economic Cobenefits

4. The word "charcoal" appears three times, never in the context of making it. "Biochar" appears once (Table 3 - in a long list). "Soil" doesn't appear once.
Here is a sentence (bottom left on page 4 or D) showing that biochar is not adequately on this group's radar:
"When methane and carbon dioxide are accounted for, the long-term climate effect of residential solid fuel use is strongly warming."
There is no qualifier about biochar being a contender (my claim would be the leading contender) in the world of CDR (Carbon Dioxide Removal) geoengneering (or mitigation) technologies. Conversely, there is plenty of discussion of char-making stoves and biochar on the stove, biochar, and geoengineering lists. It is not that there is nothing to find about the stove-biochar connection in these three bodies of literature

5. Maybe one saving grace is that the article obviously had to be written many months ago.

6. Any thoughts on how to bring char-making stoves to a state of greater awareness?. What have we been doing wrong?

7. I repeat - there are a lot of good features of this article, and good news within it. I am just sad that this paper doesn't recognize that char-making stoves have the potential to greatly accelerate what they obviously hope strongly to achieve. We are on the same side.

Ron