[Stoves] Stove Definition - controllability

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri May 3 16:11:42 CDT 2013

Dear Frank

I am not in any position to say how people turn down their fires. By that I mean this is a performance based approach, not a prescription in any way. There are good reasons why people use an open fire. One is that the fire is very controllable.

I will address the efficiency determination separately. One thing at a time, though I agree with your HHV number the pure carbon. I think the H2 number you gave is the LHV (117 MJ/kg).

So I am proposing that we segregate cooking appliances into functional categories with BASIC characterisations for each. They are of course driven by the customers and what they think when they buy something.

A BBQ (barbie, braai) is a category of appliance that is largely use for roasting and grilling. It usually has very little power control with the food being raised or lowered, covered or not as a means of control.

A kettle is a water heater that shuts off automatically if it is electrical. Is that available for LPG or wood pellets or ethanol? Why not? Maybe no one asked.

Many people boil a small quantity if water, up to perhaps 2 litres. Cecil has identified this as a 'class' of cooking activity. Heating tea in the evening or morning is common. Sometimes people use LPG for this even if they rarely use it for anything else. This a task highly suited of a small stove that requires no attention and has zero controllability save being turned on and off.

Translate that into larger units for heating 5 or 10 or 20 litres of water at a time. None of these require turn down. But none of them are 'cooking stoves'.

The requirement, literally, for cooking is a controllable heat source. So the question is on the floor: how much control is enough to be a minimum?