[Stoves] the price of bottled gas

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Fri May 3 20:00:18 CDT 2013

Dear Stovers,
As cooking energy, biogas can easily replace LPG or CNG. Biogas gives a
blue flame without smoke or soot, its flame intensity can be controlled at
will and turning it on or off is as easy as LPG. Our work showed back in
2003 that dung is not needed for biogas production and that material like
sugar, starch, cellulose, digestible protein and fats can all be used as
feedstock. In our city, waste flour, swept from the floor of a flour mill
is available for about US Cents 10 per kg. 3 kg flour give enough biogas to
replace one kg LPG costing US Cents 80 (subsidised price) or US$1.6
(unsubsidised price. If you have a few green leafy plants around your
house, or have access to the local vegetable market waste, 10kg fresh green
leaves (available for no cost) would yield enough biogas to replace about 1
kg LPG.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Paul Olivier <paul.olivier at esrla.com> wrote:

>  CNN just ran a new clip about the partial lifting of subsidies for
> bottled gas in Egypt - major point of unrest among the Egyptian people.
> Also there is this from Reuters:
> http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/04/01/uk-egypt-gas-idUKBRE93005I20130401
>
> The price of bottled gas is a huge problem throughout most of the
> developing world. If we can design gasifiers or pyrolyzers that produce a
> gas that can compete with bottled gas, this will have profound economic and
> political consequences.
>
> The first step in making this happen lies in preparing biomass, in all of
> its many forms, into a predictable fuel.
>
>  Thanks.
> Paul Olivier
> --
> Paul A. Olivier PhD
> 26/5 Phu Dong Thien Vuong
> Dalat
> Vietnam
>
> Louisiana telephone: 1-337-447-4124 (rings Vietnam)
> Mobile: 090-694-1573 (in Vietnam)
> Skype address: Xpolivier
> http://www.esrla.com/

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)