[Stoves] Stove Definition - controllability

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat May 4 18:57:31 CDT 2013

Paul, Crispin, list

First - to agree with Paul totally. Were the Indonesian cooks asked whether they would prefer a turn down ratio of 2 with a response time of 1 second vs a traditional stove with TDR of 10 or 20 and a response time of 2 minutes. Better, were they given a chance to use or see each in action?

I've been having some fun reading about cooking for the last hour (can you believe deep-fried hamburgers?). Several thoughts popped out of the reading:
a. Rayleigh's Law of radiative heat transfer has power (losses) going as the absolute (add 273 to degrees C) temperature to the 4th power. Try calculating some temperature changes in degrees C when the power levels change by a factor of 4. (to be realistic you also have to have some fraction of the losses related to evaporation and condensation. Also conductive and convective losses. Beyond this response.

b. Cooks everywhere are going to think in temperature terms, not power level changes. If you want high temperature frying you can use a pan with less surface area and less T^4 losses. You can also change colors of the utensils perhaps. I'll bet if you ask 99% of the cooks we are trying to reach, they never heard of the exponent "4", nor its meaning .

c. The average water temperature for simmering can be hugely different from that for a vigorous boil - and many foods should not be cooked anywhere near 100C. And sometimes the converse - needing a pressure cooker.

d. I found a site selling a product that changes the stove/utensil power level to achieve the correct cooking temperature by using the sound of the bubbling. I can conceive (Chinese ingenuity) changing the fan speed on a char-making stove to achieve the desired simmer temperature that way for $1. Claimed to save 35% on energy bill. Can anyone conceive that for the average stove? The average cook can tell a lot about temperatures by looking (maybe listening) and the power ratio needed is way different than four.

To repeat - Paul Olivier has the right issue in talking about times.

Ron