[Stoves] Boiled 520 grams of 14C water in 3:20 minutes

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun May 5 22:54:44 CDT 2013

Jock, Paul, list etal

1. I am entering this dialog with some trepidation - entering mainly
because I have seen more of Jock's photos than most on this list
because it took me some time to figure out (I think) what Jock is doing
because Jock asked for comments (and I could well have some of the following wrong but need to ask)
because I have been talking off-list with Dr. Paul Olivier on a possible way to do premixed combustion rather than diffusion type
because I have talked a good bit with Nat Mulcahy and have operated his Lucia design (with pre-mixing) with a fan/blower
because I admire the Phillips stove
because all the above have used fans and have nice results

2. I believe that Jock has not made clear that he has 4 or 5 separate cylindrical and conical parts - mostly concentric. This is much more than most. Oilvier has 2 (top and bottom), Mulcahy has two concentric and two top and bottom. The Phillips has more than 5. His parts are (from bottom up
a) We have seen photos of the hole pattern on the bottom inner piece that carries the pellets. Must (?) have a 7" diameter. There is an important inner metal disk at the top that forces all the gases to the outer annulus where they ignite. Jock has been setting this central lower can on a fixed speed fan which is to be replaced with a lower power speed-controlled fan ASAP. All the other fan stoves also do this.
b) Surrounding this to provide preheating of secondary air is a section of 8" stove pipe. Ar flowing up to the disk region. The Phillps and Lucia have this, Olivier does not

c) above a) is a conical transition from 7" to 6" - inside of which is (to be, not yet) a fan for secondary air only. I don't understand the inlet or outlet of this - and it may be something that is not yet in operation (awaiting a fan). This is unique to what Jock is doing - and I may have this piece all wrong, but Jock has described this to some of us.
d) surrounding c) and above b) is a similar cone, transitioning from 8" to 6"; this is to provide height for completion of the diffusion flame. Others with fans are not doing this, but everyone with natural draft has to have this. I don't know of any other with this conical feature - presumably desgned to get a flame with smaller diameter.

e. Next is a grate to set the pot on. Everybody has this. Jock's rests on d). Jock is still experimenting with different grate types and heights

f) The vessel carrying the water is next. Everyone has this .
g) There is a skirt surrounding f). Many have this, but not yet any of the other fan stoves listed above (I think)

3. Paul and I saw the Phillips at the GACC meeting. Anyone know the website of the new (African) manufacturer? This stove has been highly rated by Jim Jetter, Dean Still and others. Although not listed as a charcoal maker, it is one. One amazing feature to me is the large number of concentric heat reflecting cylinders - that preheat the secondary air. Mulcahy also has this preheating feature, but only one extra layer rather than (about ) 5 layers radially with the Phillips. The Phillps of course is also unique in having a TEG system to run the fan.

4. So my initial comments to Jock are,
a) based on what others are doing, that you may have excessive height and complexity for the flame.
b) I certainly don't understand the part c) above. I worry about lifetime of a fan in that hot environment
c) You have mentioned possibly going to a large number of flamelet holes, but maybe the Phillps and Mulcahy ring designs are also worth looking at.
d) I think there is potential for radial slits in the Olivier top plate - still trying to get relatively short diffusion type "flamelets"..
e) Mulcahy is successful with pre-mixing because his pyrolysis gases can travel up the entire height of the fuel container (because of the Venturi effect she uses). Not easy to do for TLUDs. Easy for his TLOD.

Hope this helps advance Jock's nice new fan effort.. To me the key was seeing there are two concentric conical sections planned . I believe only the outer one now. Jock?

Ron