[Stoves] Definition of char-making appliance

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Mon May 6 10:56:04 CDT 2013

Crispin, list etal:

The number 15 % could be useful. I can't think of a better number, if we need this, since 15% is easy to achieve.

But I sense a desire to not call this a "stove" - which your "apparatus" certainly could be, in my opinion..

I would make NO or LITTLE distinctions in the way 4.2.2 tests are performed and reported for char production above or below 15%. If you think the testing should be performed differently above 15%, I can agree (don't stop the testing of a self-declared "charcoal-producing stove" after achieving the first boil. I think Jim J has already implemented that difference). But I can't see any reason for reporting anything differently.

Another little complexity - Is there a societal benefit in testing and reporting a Phillips or Oorja stove both ways? Both of these stoves are TLUD in their first part of a typical cooking cycle. This also refers to Paul A's comment today about reporting emissions for the two parts separately. I personally think there is such a societal benefit - but perhaps the stove developer could ask that the more complete testing not be done, I suppose.

Ron