[Stoves] Charcoal as space filler in TLUD reactors

Ron rongretlarson at comcast.net
Mon May 6 19:48:57 CDT 2013

Martin

  Thanks for the input.  Two additions.

    A.  The use of char to turn any batch stove into a double fuel stove is mainly to enable the use of small crooked sticks than otherwise couldn't be used at all.  There has been an implication that if some of the char is consumed, that is a loss in efficiency.  Not true.  Efficiency shouldn't change much as energy reaches the pot from char rather than wood.  It will hard to pick out a char joule from a wood joule.  No test results yet?

      B.  I really like york idea of the aquarium pump, but ask you and others knowledgeable on fans, blowers, pumps what might be the downsides.  Where AC electricity is no problem, and one has such pumps (I have several), can you describe a scheme to both vary the output and measure the air flow quantities?

      A few years ago, Andrew Heggie gave me a small homemade $1 or $2 device to do this.  Anyone found such in local hardware stoves?  Wall dimmer switches?  A single speed device won't tell us enough.  Knowing quantities of air flow would be a big help.

Ron