[Stoves] Conceptioal Errors and possible pitfals.

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue May 7 14:35:29 CDT 2013

Dear Paul

I think there are excellent questions. I think we have a responsibility to
'bring the group' along on this because there are a lot of people reading
the list who are able to do the calculations.

It is through these thought experiments that we find out whether or not the
metrics being used are valid (or not).

It would be more helpful to know the heat transfer efficiency at low power
than that turns out to be invalid. Getting the low power efficiency is easy
to find out, though not by simmering a pot.

To give you a brief answer regarding heat transfer, the quantity of heat
transferred during simmering is not affected by the volume of water in the
pot (unless there is nearly none left). Heat transfer is a relationship
between the pot and the stove, not what is in the pot. This fact invalidates
several WBT metrics.