[Stoves] In praise of kerosene

Erin Rasmussen erin at trmiles.com
Sat May 11 16:21:31 CDT 2013

Hi Anil,

Thank you for your article.

I found that you also have an excellent description of your Lanstove here:
http://www.nariphaltan.org/kerolanstove.pdf

I'm sorry that our conversation got so off-track, this is obviously an
improvement over the wick kerosene lantern that contributes a lot of black
carbon and soot to our atmosphere.

At ETHOS this year, Tammi Bond, who just wrapped up an extensive study on
black carbon, identified improving the wick stove as the single biggest
impact on black carbon emissions that we could make.
Tammi's slides are here:
http://www.vrac.iastate.edu/ethos/files/ethos2013/Lecture%20Hall/Saturday%20
PM/2013%20Ethos%20Keynote.pdf

So - improving the lanterns, the lighting, and the stoves are all good aims,
and I'd like to see us do what we can to actually help people in with
improved light and cooking and other energy needs.

That said, the Chulhas stove is not the best biomass stove we can make.  We
have learned a lot about making good stoves since the Chulha was designed,
and it's time for us to bring those improvements to the many households in
India and around the world that need them.

OK, that said, I'd like to see us get back to making a real difference in
the quality of life of many people around the world.  We don't have time to
waste arguing each other, when we can be developing and improving good
stoves and bringing those stoves to the people that need them.

Erin Rasmussen
STOVES LIST ADMIN
erin at trmiles.com